|Gas Leak Evacuates Courthouse|
|Tuesday, 18 September 2012 10:42|
Court of Queen's Bench on Spadina Crescent was evacuated this morning (Tues).
About 15 to 20 courthouse employees and construction workers called 911 just after 7:30 a.m, when they heard and smelled natural gas.
Saskatoon Fire's Hazardous Materials crew discovered the leak was coming from a line near the gas meter, and isolated it.
Saskatoon Fire Battalion Chief David Nahachewsky says crews were on site for about 15 minutes, and now it's up to SaskEnergy to deal with the situation.
Nahachewsky says the leak wasn't a large one, but says natural gas leaks are always dangerous since the gas in the air could become explosive if ignited.
Casey Mcleod with SaskEnergy says the leak was the result of a faulty meter, but the safety release valve did do its job in releasing pressure, so the gas line doesn't build up pressure inside the building.
[ED Sep 18/12]