Connect With Us

Radio Stations

Coffee Talk
Rider Pride taking a bit of a beating PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 31 July 2015 08:00

Coffee Talk audio -

The wonderful world of sports can be such a roller coaster ride for teams and fans alike.  It seems like yesterday the Saskatchewan Roughriders were on top of the world appearing in three Grey Cups and appearing to be contenders right up to last year.  How quickly the football gods can turn against you.  This season is turning out to be a disaster and it makes one shiver, if you’ll pardon the pun.  

Read more...
 
Tips on tipping PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 30 July 2015 08:00

Coffee Talk audio -

Saskatoon is chock full of good places to go have a bite to eat, breakfast, lunch or dinner (or supper, as they say in some places).   A dozen years ago I talked about the age-old practice of tipping and nothing has changed on that subject.  Knowing when, where and how much to tip can cause some brow-furrowing.  As far as I can tell, the word tip is not an acronym for ‘to insure promptness” as some believe, with origins in 16th century English coffeehouses.  Acronyms weren’t used back then.  

Read more...
 
Senate: Abolish or Reform? PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 28 July 2015 09:17

Coffee Talk Audio:

 

 

The most recent News Poll on Saskatoonhomepage.ca asked if we thought the Senate should be abolished. As of this writing, 76% had voted yes. The remaining 24% said no, we need the Senate but it must be reformed and should be elected, not appointed. Nationally, polls indicate 41% of Canadians think the upper chamber should be abolished and 49% want it at least reformed. 6% want to keep the status quo. When Stephen Harper first came into federal politics he wanted to at least reform the Senate, if not abolish it. Like many of us out in the West, he thought of the Senate as a bastion of Eastern power. Last year the Supreme Court ruled that implementing elections or term limits for senators would require the agreement of at least seven provinces representing more than 50% of the total population and that abolishing the Senate would require unanimous agreement of all the provinces. I read an interesting article that suggests the Prime Minister has orchestrated the entire senate scandal in order to destroy it from the inside out. I think that may be a bit of a stretch but the PM has announced a freeze on Senate appointments which has to eventually lead to some kind of legal situation. I liked one line in the story I read that says there's an old saying about how some occupations are a thankless job but an appointment to the Senate is a jobless thanks. Nice play on words. And, for the record, I voted with the 24% who think we could use a properly functioning Senate.

That's Coffeetalk. I'm Vic Dubois.

 
Latest crime stats gave me Deja vu all over again PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 27 July 2015 08:00

Coffee Talk audio -

I had a feeling of déjà vu when I heard how Statistics Canada says Saskatoon has taken over top spot in the Crime Severity Index for all metropolitan areas in the country.  Leading the way was the increase in breaking and entering.    Stats Can also says Saskatchewan recorded the highest Crime Severity rate and crime rate among the provinces last year. The déjà vu feeling came over me because I did a Coffeetalk exactly 7 years ago this month in which the opening line was “To some folks, the news that Saskatoon had the highest homicide rate in the nation is disturbing”.  

Read more...
 
Some surprising misconceptions about media use. PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 24 July 2015 08:00

Coffee Talk audio -

Recent research by Nielsen appears to destroy a couple of myths.  One is that radio is a medium used mostly by older people, the ones who can’t quite figure out how to navigate around a mobile device.  The other is that Millennials are permanently attached to their smartphones.    According to Nielsen, both those stereotypes are dead wrong, along with a few other ideas we have about media usage. 

Read more...
 
«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»

Page 1 of 85